Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A word at the beginning....

I'm motivated to start this largely to help process my own thoughts, fears, and excitement as I contemplate becoming a mother. A compulsive reader, I've spent the last several months digging around the internet and local libraries for anything I can read to help "prepare" for the journey I believe I want to undertake-- and am starting to realize that information for women who are considering children is woefully scattered and incomplete, and to think of preparing for such a thing just by reading is, at best, wishful thinking.

This is not a collection of that information, by any stretch of the imagination; just a place for me to voice my thoughts, which I hope may be shared by other women. I'm excited, I'm hoping and trying to become pregnant, and yet I'm also terrified by the idea of successfully doing so. What if I'm not ready? What if I'm not good at it? What if I have to give up the time for myself, which already (not pregnant) seems precious and hard to come by? I know I'm not the only person who, upon deciding to try for children, has moments of reservation. Not the only one who must swing between the joyful thoughts of raising a bright, happy, well-balanced life and fear at my own potential to get sick of diapers, of the smell of sour milk, of tempers short from exhaustion.

In short, not the only one to wonder if I'm courageous enough to be a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment